Michael Dell, fully Michael Saul Dell

Dell, fully Michael Saul Dell

Founder and CEO Dell Computers

Author Quotes

You know in today's business world if you get behind in your e-mail you fall out of touch very quickly,

You see, all these devices are basically complementary to the PC.

You've got to be yourself... I wouldn't have done well in a place where I had to conform because I would always be resisting and I still do it today.

What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

When you talk to users, you continue to hear the focus move away from memory-processor into other things-- video, media, networking. We as an industry have to make our products more reliable, safer, more productive, more entertaining. If we don't they won't buy it.

You don't have to be a genius or a visionary or even a college graduate to be successful. You just need a framework and a dream.

We're seeing some good momentum in the business... The (second) quarter is off to a solid start. We believe we're well positioned to grow market share.

We're very much relying on gaining market share.

We're winning new customers at a rapid rate and successfully managing our operating expenses... Those strengths in the midst of a trying period give us great confidence for the long term.

What we are trying to do is appeal to customers with technological experience.

We're not going to provide any visibility beyond what we provided for the first quarter.

We're number-one in the U.S. in the server market and now we're going after the world.

We're seeing our Internet sales roughly double or triple every year... We were at $18 million a day in the first quarter. It continues to grow. It was 30 percent (of total sales). We think it goes to 50 percent, then to 70 and 80 percent.

We will ensure a major recruitment push in engineering talents.

Well, we started the company by building to the customer's order. And interestingly enough, we didn't do it because we saw some massive paradigm in the future. Basically, we just didn't have any capital [to mass-produce].

We're increasingly applying the Internet to our entire business, from component design to end-user support, in the process making it easier to do business with Dell, enhancing relationships with customers and suppliers and reducing costs for all of us.

We saw strength in our servers, notebooks and Internet sales... All the geographies were strong. I'd say we are firing on all cylinders.

We see a healthy industry in the year ahead... Major demand drivers, including processor transitions and component cost reductions, remain solid, and consolidation is separating top companies such as Dell from the rest of the field.

We see this as a fantastic opportunity for us to attract some of the best and bright engineers for our software and hardware activities.

We have found through internal growth and a disciplined focus on our direct model and by partnering with the world's leading services companies, we can essentially see this growth in an internal fashion.

We have some big plans for our growth here. In the last three years, our business outside the U.S. has grown from $12 billion to $22 billion with countries like India being among the fastest-growing markets for us.

We just shipped in the fourth quarter over 10 million PCs.

We have decided to invest in India in a big way to continue our success story, thanks to the availability of the requisite talent here. The hardware unit is intended to first meet the domestic demand and target the export market subsequently.

We have enormous potential to keep growing. It provides lots of learning opportunity for me and it's fun to see how so many people, so many communities are affected in a positive way by what we're doing here. I love my job and I'm not giving it up.

We don't sell the database, period.

Author Picture
First Name
Last Name
Dell, fully Michael Saul Dell
Birth Date

Founder and CEO Dell Computers